Sunday, December 5, 2010

Abram's Story

Our little Abram is here! He is almost two weeks old now and I am sorry it has taken me so long to post some pictures.  So, this time two weeks ago we were having our Thanksgiving dinner just to make sure we got one and it was delicious.  Monday morning (the 22nd) Aliya woke up at 5:30 am because she was sick with a fever and I thought oh good she'll throw me into labor just because it will be inconvenient.  It was also snowing! Which for Tacoma is unusual and driving was slow going, because they don't have the plows to clean it up so there is a lot of ice. We took Aliya to the doctor and she got an x-ray to make sure she didn't have pneumonia. Luckily, she didn't and the doctor thought it was just a virus. That whole day I was having some contractions and when I went to the doctor that afternoon he said I was just in early labor and that it may progress during the night, but if not we were going to try and get me induced the next day anyway.  Around 3:00 am the contractions were getting worse and we left for the hospital around 4. It was black ice driving to the hospital, but the roads were empty so we got there fine.  Everything was going smoothly beside a slightly elevated baby heart rate.  I was having regular contractions, but we were waiting for my doctor to see if we wanted to speed it up with pitocin.  I had one big contraction and Abram moved away from the monitor and the nurse came in to try and find his heartbeat again. They couldn't get a good reading and lots of nurses and a doctor came running in and  broke my water to put a scalp monitor on his head. His heartbeat stayed elevated and wasn't changing. My doctor came, he had bedhead :), and he stayed for 40 minutes or so just hoping the heartbeat would improve.  It didn't and he gave me a few options. The safest one for Abram was to have a C-section. Kevin and I felt that it was the right thing to do and so did my doctor (my doctor is LDS). So, they started preparing and I had a C-section.  Everything went well. Abram came out pooping and that lasted for at least a minute and we say that they scared the crap out of him because he as expecting to be going down and they snuck in and snatched him from above.  Abram came out with a very unusual hematoma on his umbilical cord, which could have easily burst going through the birth canal or caused other problems. It is most likely why his heartbeat was elevated as well. We were all very grateful that we decided to do a C-section before things got worse.  Abram came out very alert and stayed that way. He is a very good listener if you can get him to stop eating when he is awake. We love our little baby and we are so glad he came to earth to be a part of our family. He was born at 8:34 am weighing 8 lbs 1.6 oz and was 20 inches long.

















We finally got to take him home after 3 nights and being at the hospital for Thanksgiving (the food was gross, I'm glad I had my dinner early).  Aliya had been put on an antibiotic the day after we had him, because her fever wasn't going away. So, by Friday when we came home she was doing better. Thank goodness my Mom was here to watch Aliya, sorry she was sick and grouchy almost the whole time though. Thanks Mom!  We are so grateful to have such a sweet little boy and can't wait for you to meet him. 
That's Abram's birth story! :) 
Love all of you!



3 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on the precious little baby boy bundle!!! And I am soooooo so glad that he was born safely. My brother and his wife recently gave birth to a full term stillborn baby because of an umbilical hematoma. It was devastating. You guys must have been inspired to do that c-section! Hope you are feeling great and healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! What a sweet little boy. I'm glad everything went well and that Abram made it here safely. I love his name, too.

    We spent Thanksgiving in the hospital with Charlie, too, and they brought me a hamburger for dinner on Thanksgiving day. So Dave went down to the cafeteria and brought me back a real Thanksgiving dinner. I have always thought it was strange that, even though they were serving a traditional Thanksgiving dinner in the cafeteria, they brought me a hamburger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are all doing great. Can't wait until you get here. Miss ya

    ReplyDelete